Unless you are superhuman and have got this uncertainty thing down packed, you will probably be holding stress in your body.
You might not be consciously aware of it, and it might not even be at the forefront of your thoughts – but when we are going through challenging times stress slowly builds. If we are not properly dealing with and releasing the stress from our body, it accumulates and starts to affect us on both a physical and emotional level.
Ideally, we don’t want to wait until the stress is at a point that its starts affecting our mental and physical health.
We want to, as much as is possible, pre-empt the stress and incorporate daily lifestyle strategies to reduce and release its intensity.
The best way to do this is using the MEGA SELF framework.
- Decide what strategy is integral to you releasing stress and emotional build up and put it in your calendar as if it’s a meeting. Your health needs to be a priority in your day. Put it in your calendar every day and stick to it.
- Be realistic: What can you comfortably commit to without feeling overwhelmed.
- Remind yourself WHY: Why do you want to add meditation into your daily routine? Write this down and keep it somewhere accessible.
- Be okay with imperfection: Even if you decide to only do a 10 minute walk every day you are creating a consistent habit. It doesn’t need to be perfect to get started. You just need to start.
- Habit stack: Habit stacking is when you pair a new habit with an existing one. For example, you might want to walk as soon as you have dropped the kids off at school. This allows for a new program to be created.
- Be kind to yourself: It’s okay not to be perfect, you are human after all. Acknowledge it for what it is and move on. Tomorrow will be better!
Find out more about the MEGA SELF framework here.